Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mushroom/Pod House (Pittsford, Ny)

mushroom
mushroom6
sideview
mushroom1
kitchen
living rm
cave
stairs
the mushroom house, also known as the pod house (which the owner's prefer), is located amongst the powder mills park trees within bushnell's basin in pittsford, ny. as a young child i remember staring out the car window on the way to powder mills park in hopes that one day i'd be able to get a look inside the unique dwelling, or better yet - live there! the home was featured on, "offbeat america" on hgtv, and in the book, "weird new york". architect, james h. johnson was inspired by the local wildflower, queen anne's lace when he designed this unusual home. even today as an adult i think of this home quite often and finally was able to come across some pictures of the inside. i still hope that maybe one day i'll get to take some of my own...

6 comments:

  1. thanks...i was looking for interior pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much is this cost worth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in Pittsford and have fond memories of driving by this house. Thank you for posting this article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the pictures. I as a child would go to Powder mill park with my Grandma and Grandpa...I also have fond memories as a child looking out the window of the car as my Grandfather drove down the road I would always yell slow down I have to look at the mushroom house. My grandparents are no longer with us, but I always have this memory with me and never will I forget it. Thanks so much for sharing and making my day. I too would love to see the inside of this amazing house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everybody remembers this house that has lived or visited Rochester area. I always wondered what the inside looked like. I saw it on the news a couple of days ago and was excited to see it. I have a son with Autism and that would love to live there. If I could afford it I would have bought it. Hey you never know maybe someday I will! Thanks so much for the pictures. The house is a wonderful piece of art and whoever buys it I hope they appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danielle,

    My mother and stepfather recently purchased the home in February 2012, and they'd be happy to give you and your son an inside tour! Just happened upon this blog looking for good pics of the house to share with people. Please contact me if you'd like me to put you in touch with them - caitlin.t.holls@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete